Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Title TBA

Part 1Part 2Part 3Part 4Part 5Part 6
Part VII

                The Devoni Compound was on the outskirts of the northern end of the city in a gated community known as ‘The Woods’ which is home to the mansions of the cities wealthiest citizens and the Devoni crime family. Dermot and I drove in silence as we exited the city and drove past the ancient oaks that lined the road leading into ‘The Woods’.

                Dermot pulled the Pinto off to the side before we reached the gate of the community. we wouldn’t get past the guard without killing him and since I didn't plan on killing any innocent people we had to formulate a different entry plan.

                “We don’t want to leave the car here, let’s pull it out of sight. There was a dirt trail a little further back. Put it there and we can cut through the woods and approach the compound from the back.”
                Dermot turned the car around and parked on the dirt road out of sight from traffic. We stepped out into the snowy woods. Dermot called me to the back of the Pinto.

                “Ya gonna need more fire power than those pistols ya be carrying.”

                He opened the trunk of the hatchback and lifted up the floor which had two TEC-9 machine guns and a 12 gauge Remington 870 pump action shotgun hidden where a spare tire would be normally. I grabbed the Remington and loaded up my pockets with extra ammunition. Dermot grabbed the two TEC-9s.

                “Do ya know where we be headed to?”

                “Vaguely,” I smiled a bit, “Just follow the scent of spaghetti sauce.”

                “I'll lead then,” he said without even cracking a smile at my joke. The Irish don't seem to have a sense of humor.

                We headed through the woods past multi-million dollar mansions inhabited by the who's who of Salem Bay. We trekked around a large frozen pond where deer stood staring at us and crows squawked in the trees as the snow began to come down in large clumps and the sky turned orange with the approaching sunset.

                Dermot lifted his hand in the air as a signal to stop; he took a seat in the snow behind a fallen tree. I took a seat and joined him on the frozen forest floor leaning the Remington against the tree trunk.

                “Tha next home is tha compound. Are ya sure ya want to do this? No turnin back boy-o.”
                “I don't have much of a choice in this. If you need to head back I'll understand.”

                We sat in silence for a moment as Dermot peered over the fallen tree looking at the rear of the compound where two men stood guard about fifty yards away standing at the rear entrance of the Devoni compound which was surrounded by a eight foot stone wall.

                “Ya got a smoke?” I handed Dermot a cigarette and lit it for him, “I'm with ya through this. I have me own reasons for this mission. I'm afraid I'm not just bein' a nice guy.” He cracked a smile and took a long drag from his cigarette. I lit one of my own.

                “I'll take the help regardless of your motivation and I truly appreciate you saving my ass back there.”

                “No problem laddie. Any friend of Patty is a friend of all tha Irish in this fair city.”

                I pulled out my silenced Walther PPK from its holster and turned around and stabled my hand on the log and pointed the barrel down at the guard closest to me.

                “Can ya hit them with that from here?”

                I pulled the cigarette out of my mouth and tossed it into the snow and put my hand back onto the trigger, I stabilized my breathing and waited for the right moment before pulling the trigger. The guard dropped to his knees holding his throat trying to prevent blood from spilling out: it was too late. He dropped face first to the ground. The other guard turned and ran toward him getting down on one knee to check his partner's pulse. Once he saw that the other guard was dead he stood up and I pulled the trigger again. He dropped on top of his fallen comrade.

                “Aye, I guess I'll keep me mouth shut next time.”

                I stood up, grabbed the pump, and started toward the stone wall. I leaned my back against it. Once I was flush against it Dermot followed. We slunk along the wall until we reached the gate. I squatted and peered my head around to see into the compounds yard.

                “We got about two on the patio by the back door and at least one on the top deck, but he is on the phone so we should be able to take out the two on the patio before he can notice.”

                I gave the gate a shove with my right hand without exposing myself to the Deovni muscle.
                “Locked?” Dermot questioned, I nodded, “Maybe one of them has a key.” Dermot motioned toward the dead guards. He laid on his stomach and crawled over to them. I waited as he searched both their pockets. He crawled back to my position. “This remote may be our ticket.” He held up what looked like a clicker for a car, but instead of a car maker's logo it had the Devoni family crest.

                “Let's hope that opens it. I am in no condition to be climbing walls.” I felt small drops of warm blood against my cold skin.

                “Aye, lets get this done so we can get ya over to the doc.”

                I peaked around the corner of the wall and put a bullet from my PPK into each of the guards on the patio, as the second one hit the ground I signaled to Dermot and with a push of a button the gate swung open. I grabbed the Remington and snuck into the yard: Dermot followed. The sliding glass door onto the Patio began to open, so I took a position behind a bench near a small garden and Dermot ducked behind a bush to the right of me. Three men walked outside laughing until they spotted the two corpses bleeding on the imported Italian stone patio. Two of them pulled out small sub machine guns and the other one checked the bodies. After seeing that they were dead he blew a whistle. The two with the sub-machine guns began walking toward the open gate. I looked over at my Irish partner as he was making the sign of a cross and kissing a rosary bead he kept in his pocket.

                Shots started hitting the bench I was hiding behind: the man on the deck was paying attention to us. The attention of the three goombas in the yard was fully on us. Dermot lifted one of his Tec-9s over the top of the bush and fired blindly at them. They ran and took cover on the patio behind two large marble columns. The bullets from above stopped as the goon changed clips. I took it as an opportunity to move my position. 

                I darted over to the left of my current position hiding behind a small shed in the furthest corner of the compound's vast back yard. I now had a better view of the patio and of the two guards hiding there. Dermot continued to fire blindly over the top of the bush hitting everything but the targets. Planters on the patio shattered and bullets ricocheted off the bullet proof French doors that led into the home. I took each opportunity I could to try and take out the person on the deck, he had the best vantage point to get a shot at Dermot, but I couldn't get a clean shot because he ducked behind the deck fence which was also lined with bullet proof glass. The whole fucking house was bullet proof.

                Two more Devoni Thugs came out onto the deck. I was able to take one of them down with a beautiful head shot that impressed even myself. I knew then if this whole assassin thing doesn't work out I could become an Olympic Biathlon athlete: I just need to learn how to ski.

                Dermot finally was able to take out one of the targets on the patio with his wild shooting. I wondered how much ammo he could possibly have left, but he just kept reloading clips and firing. He was a lunatic. I whistled for him to join me behind the shed. It seemed like a better place to hide and we could discuss some sort of plan. 

                He nodded and fired over the bush once more, but this time a bullet from above ripped off his hand. He screeched in pain and clutched his wrist. He fell into the snow as blood spouted from where his hand once was.

                “Mothafucker!”

                Leaving the Remington behind the shed I ran back to the bench and slid behind it through the soft snow which was splotched with red dots. I ripped off a sleeve of my jacket and tied it around Dermot's wrist to try and slow the bleeding. I stayed low enough to not give any enemy a clear shot at me. Once the tourniquet was tied I stepped back out from behind the bush leaving Dermot there. I rushed back to my safe spot behind the shed, holstered my Walther PPK, and picked up the shotgun. I turned and fired toward the patio and ducked back before they returned the favor.

                I looked over where Dermot was lying in the snow, but just his blood his was there. He was rushing toward the house firing his TEC-9 with his one good hand. With the two people on the patio distracted I went around the shed and approached the patio from the side putting shotgun bullets into the remaining goons. Dermot met me on the patio.

                “Aye, it could be worse.” he winced as he spoke, “I hit the bastards up stairs.” Dermot collapsed to his knees dropping his gun next to him, “Go in without me, I'll be here when ya done.”

                I picked him up and propped him up against one of the columns and returned the gun to his working hand. I opened the door and headed into the compound.

                “Good luck boy-o.”



No comments:

Post a Comment