Friday, August 7, 2015

I Want It Physically

I posted a long drawn out Facebook status this morning regarding my stance on the new Dr. Dre album “Compton: A soundtrack”. For those who saw it you know what I was ranting about, but for those who didn't get to see it or are not my friends on that social forum (mainly those random readers overseas that somehow find there way to my blog) view the long post below.



I also went on a semi rant on twitter last night (I guess technically this morning)



Follow me over at my creative at name @DanPerrucci, I rant sometimes and am pretty entertaining: in my own mind that is. I also once was retweeted and return tweeted by the Hip Hop Magician, so I got that going for me.

Pond is probably better for me though.

Now while I was writing this one of my friends (real life as well as Facebook) asked me on my above FB status “is all of that effort worth it for a song that sounds the same downloaded as it does on CD?”

I mean my buddy makes a valid point, is it really worth it? The simple answer is: yes.

I need something to hold, to touch, to own. I feel when I purchase something digitally I don't own anything.

For example I refuse to buy a kindle, I want a book. I want to smell the pages as they age, I want to hear the sound they make when I turn it. I want to highlight my favorite quotes and scribble in the margins.

The same goes for music, while I love Pandora and Spotify when an album comes out from certain artists I will always buy a physical copy.

I will always buy a Joe Budden CD because he is by far my favorite artist and I will support him. I will always buy a Roots CD because they never disappoint. I will always buy a Black Milk CD because he is super underrated and beyond talented. And I said during the years I spent since the release of '2001' I will buy the next and last Dre album. He doesn't need the money, the guy is filthy rich, but he is donating his royalties from the album to a good cause.

Yes, I know buying it off of Itunes will have the same effect on the outcome of his royalties, but it is missing something. Why pay $14 dollars for something you cannot touch? Maybe it is me just being old, maybe it is me being anti-technology, but in the end it seems like a stupid purchase.

I just want a CD, is that too much to ask for? The album is available now for purchase via Itunes, but fuck that noise. I will patiently wait until August 21st when I can buy a real copy of the album. I refuse to use Itunes to buy music. I have made two purchases on Itunes in my life only because I had a gift card, and those were CDs I would have never purchased otherwise.

I will not even stream this album prior to tearing open the packaging. It is my own protest against the digital age.

That last line makes me fell like I'm an old man and not someone who just turned 28. Just so every one is aware I love technology (though I did have a conversation about going back to flip phones so, yeah), but give me a CD, Record, DVD, or a book over the digitized versions any day.




RIP to Sam Goody and Tower Records, you will be forever missed.


3 comments:

  1. And fuck video games with the digital manual. After my grandma took us out for our birthday to splurge on ourselves, nothing was better then tearing open that packaging, struggling with the layers of that bullshit sticky tape shit to reveal the book inside. Reading through the manual and looking through the pages getting psyched about the adventure that awaited was spectacular. Now all I can look at is the case's stupid cover art, you can't get to know the characters with which you will dive in and explore a fantastic unprecedented world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn straight! this whole generation is Fubar! Preach Brother!

      Delete
    2. I will always stand by this rant of yours, and my tag on complaint of videogame manuals...

      Delete