Monday, November 14, 2016

Love Reconciled

I said in my last post I am currently struggling to focus on a novel for NaNoWriMo 2016 (I'm failing) and while I work on that I would be posting things I posted on Reddit's writing prompt subreddit. The prompt for the following story was 'You are about to commit suicide when a note falls from the sky.' Enjoy.

I stand in an open field in a foot of snow under a grey sky; I need to get to the tree where I first met her. I could see the tree in the distance waving at me, its icy fingers begging me to continue: I take a deep breath. I was starting to sweat so I strip off my heavy North Face jacket and toss it into the field to be found during the spring thaw. The cool air felt good against my arms now exposed in the short sleeve shirt. She bought it for me on our first anniversary. It has our wedding picture on the front with the date of the ceremony and our initials.
I miss her.
I touch her screen printed face and make my way through the heavy powder to the weeping willow waving at me in the wind.
I lean myself against the heavy trunk to catch my breath. I finally begin breathing regularly again and I scan the trunk for our names that we carved in it when we first met. They were wrapped in a heart with the date of our first encounter here. I pull a knife from my pocket and carve today’s date officially ending our love in this world.
I still love her.
I pull the hand gun from my pocket, cock it and put it to my temple. I feel warm tears running down my cheek, my finger shakes as I slide it over the trigger.
Maybe I shouldn’t do this. I pull the gun from my head and drop to my knees. I am kneeling in the snow weeping when the sky clears and a white paper falls from the sky. I unfold it; it’s a hand written note
James,
You are almost there. Pull the trigger and we will be together again.
It is her hand writing: a message from heaven. I put the gun to my head again.
“I’m coming my love”
My finger pulls the trigger all the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment